What is a High Bay Light Fitting?
High bays are designed to be used in very high areas (approximately 8m and greater) to provide well distributed and uniform light for open areas. The key element of the fitting which will help guarantee the correct light output is the reflectors and optics used by the fitting. A particular consideration for use with a high bay is if it can light vertical surfaces as well as it can illuminate the floor, or working plane. Lighting of verticals is particularly important when dealing with warehouses where items are required to be picked from a shelf.
Different types of High Bays?
To simplify there are 3 x different types of High Bay light fittings;
- Compact Fluorescent
- Incandescent / Halogen
There are a lot of alternatives for this kind of lighting for you to choose from, but the LED lamps are getting popular for high bay lightings in high roofing facilities and venues. Whether in places such as warehouses, loading docks, sports arenas, and gymnasium, you can see high bay LED LAMP fixtures.
The question to ask yourself is, what type of high bay light bulbs are you using? Are they energy-efficient, money-saving and environment-friendly? What are the lighting requirements for your environment if being used in an industrial or commercial setting?
LEDs are setting the standard for lighting fixtures. If you have not been using LED fixtures yet, you might want to consider the advantages and drawbacks.
Here are reasons why too choose LED High bay fixtures;
- Emits zero UV rays. LEDs are safe, as it does not release ultraviolet rays. So it does not pose any detrimental effect to humans and animals. Primarily LEDs have been designed to be environment friendly.
- Long lasting. The longevity of LEDs’ lifespan gives them an edge over other regular bulbs. Approximately, they last around 50 times longer than any other traditional light fittings. It’s this characteristic of their long life that has caused LEDs to become so popular to some users, with their high bay lighting solutions. High Bay fittings are generally much more expensive to replace the bulbs due to the safety equipment required to reach the fitting.
- Electricity efficient. LEDs don’t consume a lot of energy to produce light, thus it saves you a whole lot of money every day. This advantage can be a good reason that everyone should go for LED high bay lights in commercial establishments.
- Cut down AC bills. Since LEDs do not emit heat waves, the fitting is much cooler compared with other lamps. This then, results in a cooler surrounding and eventually in reduction of energy consumption, such as with air conditioners.
Here are drawbacks to LED High bay fixtures;
- Initial Investment. The number one reason why people / companies do not consider choosing LEDs is that it requires a higher initial investment compared to other high bay alternatives. People do not take into consideration that there is a considerable amount of money saved in electricity bills reduction and ongoing maintenance. The use of LED High bay light can then be compensated in the long run.
- Lighting requirements in specific situations. LEDs may fail to meet the lumen / lighting requirements in some specific situations, though this is not common.
Want to find out more speak to an expert?
It is recommend that you get you’re A/C serviced professionally every 6 – 12 months depending on your usage (minimum once a year). Not regularly servicing your A/C affects the performance of the A/C and increases your power bill. To prevent this we recommend getting your A/C serviced to have your unit running cost efficiently and prevent unnecessary wear and tear / breakdowns.
Our 6 step servicing procedure includes:
- Check & clean all covers & filters
- Check drains don’t have any blockages & make sure clear outside
- Check running pressures of system (gas charge)
- Check Amp draw
- Clean outdoor coil
- Clean indoor coil & fan
If you haven’t had your air conditioner serviced in a while don’t worry we can have you’re A/C serviced and running like new in no time at all, just call our friendly reception team on (08) 89471920 and they will work with you to get you booked in at a time that is convenient to you.
- Ensure your A/C is being installed by a licensed tradesmen – a lot of business’s advertise that they install A/C’s but are not licensed to do so. If your A/C is not installed by a licensed technician it can void your Manufacturer’s Warranty. Please refer to http://www.lookforthetick.com.au/ at the Australian Refrigerant Council (ARCtick) wedsite to double check. Our license number is AU23084 and all our tradesmen are licensed HVAC&R (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration) technicians.
- Use only ‘Fire Retardant’ ducting – Other products fade and become brittle which will become an eyesore. This deterioration can start to show in as little a period as 12months. For your safety and peace of mind we only use Fire Retardant ducting unlike some other businesses.
- Only install UV & Fire rated pre-insulated pipe’s (pair coil) – it is proven to last longer when subjected to UV rays and won’t break down. This means that there is no chance of the insulation degrading and causing any moisture damage (mouldy) in ceiling and wall spaces, and won’t cause your air conditioner to work harder and increasing your power bill (This can begin to occur in as little as 12 months). These materials do result in a more expensive initial installation but over the lifetime of your air conditioner will save you money.
- All new A/C’s installations require their own isolation circuit / swtich installed & a ‘Certificate of Compliance’ (COC) issued (As per Australian standards AS/NZS 3000) – a COC can only be issued by a licensed electrical contractor (this is an additional license to an electrician). Double check who you get to carry out this work is correctly licensed by referring to http://www.electricallicensing.nt.gov.au. Our Contractor license number is C0881. Unlicensed electrical installed in your building is unsafe and can be an insurance breach / liability.
You can be assured by choosing K & J Burns Electrical & Refrigeration you will be:
- Covered for all manufacturer’s warranties
- Your A/C will be installed by a licensed technician
- You are getting quality for your money
- You can sleep peacefully at night knowing that your A/C is wired safely and is not a hazard to your home.
We hope this helps you compare apples for apples & if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact Ken Timms (Manager) on 08 8947 1920 or 0439 884 694